Wedding Oak Winery Wins Best of Class at the 2017 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition
We love seeing how our wines compare to other great wines in similar categories. We’re thrilled to be awarded 11 medals — including a Best of Class award — at the revered San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition, the largest wine contest of solely American wines in the world.
Our wines made with 100 percent Texas-grown fruit were certainly put through their paces at the competition. A panel of sixty wine experts from the media, education, trade, and hospitality judged 7,100 submissions from small boutique wineries and large-scale suppliers from across the country.
An amazing thing happened this year: seven Texas wineries won Best of Class awards with their categories. That’s a huge accomplishment for one state to get that many awards, and second only to California. Best of Class Awards were also awarded to American wines recognized for extraordinary quality. The Texas wineries Best in Class award winners in 2017 are:
- Brennan Vineyards – Viognier 2015 (Viognier – $25.00 and above)
- Haak Vineyards & Winery – Tempranillo 2015 (Tempranillo – $0.00 – $24.99)
- Los Pinos Ranch Vineyards – Sweet Blush Colibri (Dry Rose/Blush – RS >.25)
- Messina Hof Winery – Merlot 2015 (Merlot – $15.00 – $18.99)
- Perissos Vineyards and Winery – Dolcetto 2015 (Dolcetto)
- Trilogy Cellars – Malbec 2015 (Malbec – $25.00 and above)
- Wedding Oak Winery – Sweet Alyssum 2015 (White Blends – $20.00 and above)
We’re honored to win a “Best in Class” award for our Sweet Alyssum, which was just introduced last Spring as part of our Wildseed Farms Series. This slightly sweet wine has been a crowd pleaser. It’s incredibly fragrant with pear, orange peel, and dried flowers scents that set a cheery tone. A blend of primarily Muscat Canelli and Riesling gives this wine fresh flavors of ripe pear, navel orange, honey dew melon and a floral finish that fills the mouth with abandon.
Want to taste what the San Francisco judges loved? Try it with spicy foods like Thai noodles, pasta arrabiata, and shrimp diablo.
If you want to try our other 2017 San Francisco Chronicle Wine Competition medal winners, here is a full list:
- Wedding Oak Winery Sweet Alyssum 2015— Best of Class
- Wedding Oak Winery Baby's Breath 2015— Silver
- Wedding Oak Winery Bridal Bliss 2015 — Silver
- Wedding Oak Winery Bridal Blush 2014—Silver
- Wedding Oak Winery Bridal Veil 2015— Silver
- Wedding Oak Winery Sangiovese 2014— Silver
- Wedding Oak Winery Tempranillo Reserva 2014 — Silver
- Wedding Oak Winery Rosé de Dolcetto 2015 — Bronze
- Wedding Oak Winery Tioja 2014— Bronze
- Wedding Oak Winery Viognier 2015 — Bronze
- Wedding Oak Winery Wine Cup 2015— Bronze